Re: Internet organisations coordination meeting

2014-02-16 17:27:55
On Feb 16, 2014, at 5:38 PM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

The issue is not participation, engagement and cooperation which I consider
vital for a healthy and continuously development of the Internet. The issue
IMHO is the tag labeling of a group of individuals that perform on an
executive role and how the labeling and some statements are perceived and
interpreted particularly by mainstream media in a context where Internet
Governance (widely misinterpreted by itself ) is on the forefront nowadays.

I believe that was particularly the case with the statement made coming out of
the
Montevideo meeting, and hopefully everyone has learned quite a bit as a
result...

You may not see it because you are in the midst of it. My concern is with the
"I* Leaders" label and how and where what you say can be easily taken out
context and grossly misinterpreted without exercising some restraint and
better choice of words.

I believe that appropriate restraint and care was taken in the most recent
statement.

I'm not against Jari and Russ participation and having them share what's
going on at IETF and explore opportunities for more and better cooperation.

I'd strongly recommend to get rid of the "I* Leaders" moniker.

I think it is fairly easy to avoid the use of "I*" shorthand; it simply means
consistently
saying instead "Leaders of organizations that are currently taking
responsibility for
coordination..." (to use AB's formulation).

It gets a tad more complicated if one doesn't want those attending from the
IETF to be
referred to as "Leaders" at all.   Someone suggested using the term
Representatives,
but that's potentially even more problematic for some folks.

/John