Re: Internet organisations coordination meeting

2014-02-16 17:32:10

--On Sunday, February 16, 2014 16:38 -0600 Jorge Amodio
<jmamodio(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

You may not see it because you are in the midst of it. My
concern is with the "I* Leaders" label and how and where what
you say can be easily taken out context and grossly
misinterpreted without exercising some restraint and better
choice of words.

I'm not against Jari and Russ participation and having them
share what's going on at IETF and explore opportunities for
more and better cooperation.

I'd strongly recommend to get rid of the "I* Leaders" moniker.

Jorge,

Because I think it makes no difference what this group (or these
meetings) are called, let me suggest a different distinction.
For this group to meet and exchange ideas and updates is, IMO,
completely reasonable and beneficial for the reasons outlined in
John Curran's note.  If they get together, meet quietly, and
then go back to their respective organizations and report and
discuss topics as appropriate, I think there are considerable
benefits and can't imagine any harm resulting.  Issues arise
when people start issuing group "statements" or press releases
because that is the point at which questions of authority to
issue such statements and the legitimacy of the group as a
decision-making or position-forming entity arise.

Personally, I don't want us to tell Jari and Russ (or anyone
else) to never issue a statement of press release.  Not only
would that be unreasonable but there may be circumstances in
which the advantages of doing so (or the disadvantages of not
doing so) clearly outweigh any risks.  But, especially after
some of the lurid interpretations of the Montevideo
"declaration" and what it has been used to justify, I'd hope
that the participants in these meetings can go easy on
statement-issuing in the name (whatever that is) of the group.

   best,
    john

p.s.  I hope there is no one attending those meetings who would
stop if they didn't produce publicity, statements, and/or press
releases.  If there is, I would urge our leaders to consider the
implications of that, and even the necessity of having that
person involved, carefully rather than giving in to that sort of
preference.