Re: draft naming was RE: anti-harassment procedures

2014-02-21 02:00:32
As long as (1) we have tools to map authors to documents for search and
aggregation purposes anyway, (2) we maintain the reserved structure of
draft-ietf-wg-* and other special second elements, I don't see any reason to
further restrict the second element of the draft name.

This came in handy recently in IPPM, where we had multiple proposals for a
performance metrics registry that started pretty widely separated from each
other. It would have been arbitrary and inaccurate simply to choose an author
name for each the (individual draft) stages of the convergence; the resulting
draft-manyfolks-ippm-metric-registry-00 is IMO accurately named.

A policy strictly restricting element 2 to author names would have required us
to waste energy on a "what do we want to name the band" discussion.

Regards,

Brian

On 21 Feb 2014, at 01:04, Brian E Carpenter