Re: Web Anniversary

2014-03-14 15:31:41
On 3/12/2014 3:26 PM, Francesco Fondelli wrote:co
I read from my scribbled computer science lecture notes: "CNUCE
(Centro Nazionale Universitario di Calcolo Elettronico) in Italy,
Pisa, was connected to ARPANET in April 1986...".  I think Italy was
the third country :-)

http://cng1.iet.unipi.it/wiki/index.php/Luciano_Lenzini
http://www.isti.cnr.it/about/cnuce_timeline.php

ciao
fra
Your lecture notes are incorrect, I believe. CNUCE got an Internet connection, not an ARPAnet connection, in 1986. That was 3 years after the ARPAnet went over from
NCP to TCP/IP.  Evidence: the 2nd URL in your message!

Another European site for early TCP/IP experimentation was DFVLR in Germany.
(By early, I mean between 1981 and 1885, I think.)
Their SATNET ground station was in Oberpfaffenhofen. The (original, ARPA-funded)
IAB met once in Oberpfaffnehofen during Oktoberfest. Horst Clausen was our
genial host.

The early Internet sites in the UK, Norway, and Germany were a result of a NATO-fostered research collaboration among defense-establishment labs in each of the countries. Vint
Cerf at ARPA ran the show.

 Bob Braden