Re: buggy mail software, was Web Anniversary

2014-03-17 13:52:43
"Gregg L. DesElms" <gregg(_at_)greggdeselms(_dot_)com> wrote:
When you reply to one of these email list things, *DO* *NOT* *CHANGE* *THE*"
*SUBJECT*:" *FIELD*!

Please do change the Subject field when the actual subject of
conversation has shifted.  It's bad email etiquette to have all of the
subthreads of a long thread labelled with the same subject text even
when they're discussing different things.  It makes it hard to
identify when the various topics of conversation branched off and
which branch correspondes to which discussion.  Subject lines are
there to help us identify the subjects of the threads.

Most subscribers to the IETF (and most other) list(s) need for
everything received from said list(s) to be appropriately labeled in

I suspect that's not true for "most" subscribers to the IETF list,
though we don't have email client statistics so I don't know if I'm
right (or if you're right).  However, please do avoid using hobbled
email clients that can't follow threads using the appropriate headers
clients can do it.  Or, if you insist on using a deficient client
that can't follow threads properly, at least don't try to dumb down
the email use of the rest of the list to work with it at the expense
email functionality that's useful for others.
  -- Cos