Re: IAOC Seeks Community Input on IETF Website Revamp SOW

2014-03-19 12:55:46
On Mar 19, 2014, at 10:08 AM, John G. Scudder <jgs(_at_)bgp(_dot_)nu> wrote:
Street cred that can be purchased with "gee-whiz and flashy" is street cred I
don't want.

Is it your impression that the current SOW aims to make the web site "gee whiz
and flashy?"

I've almost never experienced a website revamp that made navigation *easier*;

i.e. just because I think it *could* be improved doesn't mean I have any
confidence it *will* be :-(

You _can_ be confident that if there is a usability problem with the web site
and nothing is done, the usability problem will not go away.   I think the
argument "change isn't always for the better" is a very weak one to raise as an
objection to a change that serves to address some need.   It would be better to
(1) determine whether the need is sufficiently documented that you can evaluate
it, (2) determine whether the proposal addresses that need and (3) if it
doesn't, make suggestions for how it can do so.

That is to say, it is by reading the SOW and making concrete suggestions, if
you find gaps, that you can do your part in making sure that the outcome is
good.