Re: IAOC Seeks Community Input on IETF Website Revamp SOW

2014-03-20 02:28:05
Ted,

On 20/03/2014 06:55, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Mar 19, 2014, at 10:08 AM, John G. Scudder <jgs(_at_)bgp(_dot_)nu> wrote:
Street cred that can be purchased with "gee-whiz and flashy" is street cred
I don't want.

Is it your impression that the current SOW aims to make the web site "gee
whiz and flashy?"

I think there are three reasons for concern about this.

1. The confusion of two audiences: current and new users of the
IETF site as a working tool, and the "outreach" audience described
by "These individuals include policy makers, managers of current or potential
IETF participants, and C-level executives from the organizations of IETF
participants."

2. Several instances of marketing-speak that I mentioned in my long
message.

3. The absence of a clear requirement to be simple and avoid bells
and whistles.

Knowing what I know of professional web designers, this amounts to
a licence to jazz up the site.

    Brian