Re: IAOC Seeks Community Input on IETF Website Revamp SOW

2014-03-20 05:12:43
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale R. Worley" <worley(_at_)ariadne(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:10 PM
From: "t.p." <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>

I was concerned when I first heard of this that it would result in a
website that would call for flashy software on a gee-whiz device to
be able to carry on participating in the work of the IETF.  I note,
however, that while the SOW talks of getting the work done, the SOW
is
limited to www.ietf.org.  Checking History, I find I last used that
when
planning to attend IETF89 and before that, I cannot recall when.

So if www.ietf.og was made gee-whiz and flashy, it would not affect
me;

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, but if it means that somehow
the "main" web site and the "datatracker" become even more
disconnected, that's not good at all.  Currently, the distinction
regarding what is on one and the other seems to be nearly arbitrary,
and it's constantly getting in my way when I try to find information.

I am saying 'Leave the Datatracker Alone'!

It does the job for me and as I said before, the only use I can find I
made of the www.ietf.org website in my browser History was to check the
details of IETF89 before booking.  Mailing Lists, I-Ds, Charters,
Archives, RFC, History, DISCUSS .... etc I access via the Datatracker
(which is my browser's home page - used to be Google).  Sometimes it
lets me down - ever tried to find the tools mailing list via it? - but I
suspect that any change to it would impair my ability to participate in
the IETF, short term and may be long term.

I think that the layout of the main www.ietf.org is poor, scrappy.
(Didn't underlining go out when printers gained support for more than
one font?)

By contrast, I think that the IEEE website looks, well, professional.
We may technically be amateurs in the IETF but we should still appear
professional!

Tom Petch

Dale