Re: Time to move beyond the 32 bit Internet.

2014-06-24 19:17:02
On 6/24/14, 18:55 , Martin Rex wrote:

Why would any private individual want to get an IPv6 address?
With DHCP IPv4 + NAT (on your Home router) and even more so with CGN,
you may have at least a vague chance that your ID doesn't stick out
of every IP datagram like a sore thumb.  With IPv6, you're stripped
naked for traffic analysis by every governmental agency worldwide, no matter
how strong you encrypt your traffic.

The end-2-end principle is equivalent to a fairly complete loss of privacy.
Really, I'm glad that I can use IPv4 and get a new IPv4 address assigned
several times a day.

But do you really get a different IPv4 address? In the situation you discuss that is completely up to your provider, not really up to you. With IPv6 my laptop, iPhone, and iPad are continually changing their IPv6 address and my devices are in control of the address selected not my providers. For IPv4 my address for my home NAT changes only every 6 months or so at best.

No if you mean you IPv4 address changes as you go from home to work to the mall, etc... But, the same thing is true for IPv4. Change in the world is inevitable, get over it.

I recommend you read the Why64 draft, it talks about both security and privacy provided by 64 bit host addresses.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-why64

As for 32bit vs. 128bit Internet, nice spin, doesn't hut, but not a new idea, just not a silver bullet either.

David Farmer               Email: farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952