Re: Time to move beyond the 32 bit Internet.

2014-06-25 11:17:18
On 2014-06-25 15:39, Martin Rex wrote:
David Farmer wrote:
On 6/24/14, 18:55 , Martin Rex wrote:

Why would any private individual want to get an IPv6 address?
With DHCP IPv4 + NAT (on your Home router) and even more so with CGN,
you may have at least a vague chance that your ID doesn't stick out
of every IP datagram like a sore thumb.  With IPv6, you're stripped
naked for traffic analysis by every governmental agency worldwide, no matter
how strong you encrypt your traffic.

The end-2-end principle is equivalent to a fairly complete loss of privacy.
Really, I'm glad that I can use IPv4 and get a new IPv4 address assigned
several times a day.

But do you really get a different IPv4 address?

Yes, definitely.

In the situation you discuss that is completely up to your provider,
not really up to you.

Agreed.  But the national regulator&legislator can help.

In here, the legislator helps law enforcement agencies by mandating the ISPs to keep records of dynamic IP address assignments for some minimal duration, notably. (At least this is my understanding of legislative amendments pushed in our parliament.)

Privacy enhanced with IPv4? Maybe a false sense of privacy.

- Thierry