Re: Time to move beyond the 32 bit Internet.

2014-06-25 10:40:20
David Farmer wrote:
On 6/24/14, 18:55 , Martin Rex wrote:

Why would any private individual want to get an IPv6 address?
With DHCP IPv4 + NAT (on your Home router) and even more so with CGN,
you may have at least a vague chance that your ID doesn't stick out
of every IP datagram like a sore thumb.  With IPv6, you're stripped
naked for traffic analysis by every governmental agency worldwide, no matter
how strong you encrypt your traffic.

The end-2-end principle is equivalent to a fairly complete loss of privacy.
Really, I'm glad that I can use IPv4 and get a new IPv4 address assigned
several times a day.

But do you really get a different IPv4 address?

Yes, definitely.

In the situation you discuss that is completely up to your provider,
not really up to you.

Agreed.  But the national regulator&legislator can help.

With IPv6 my laptop, iPhone, and iPad are continually changing their
IPv6 address

Do you really get a new _prefix_ (One than is randomly drawn from
a pool of ISP customers)?

-Martin