Attracting volunteers for leadership roles (Was: Re: Substantial nomcom procedure updates (Was: Re: Consolidating BCP 10 (Operation of the NomCom)))

2014-09-17 07:24:31
Doug,

First and most important: Mary kindly provided information. Please do not
assume that she has opinions that she did not express.

Then back to the substantial topic: Many of us have understanding of a number
of other organisations, and what kinds of differences they have to IETF.
Including the fundamental mode of the operation, compensation structures,
financing, and so on.

The IETF, along with many other successful standards organisations, is based on
voluntary adoption of our standards. When we make good, timely standards that
people care about, there will be participants that want to observe, contribute,
and even manage the production of these standards. If we do not, they do not.
As simple as that. Personal opinion is that we’ve succeeded in doing things
that interest the industry in the last few years, but that is something that we
need to repeat every month going forward as well. And there is room for
improvement. And it still is a big challenge to recruit leadership, nomcom
members, etc. We should be grateful for the excellent teams we have...

And we should be aware of the implications of different modes of operation. If
you run an organisation where people have to care a lot in order to
participate, the good thing is that you’ll create a forcing function to work on
useful things. The bad side of that is that it may create too much focus on
things that are in commercial world only. And as Stewart noted, lean
corporations may focus only on products, not on other things as much. The
situations are different in other modes. For instance, in paid board model you
might encounter situations where the organisation starts to be self-selecting,
or you would get different people applying than you would otherwise. Which
might of course be good or bad. In any case, it is not immediately clear to me
that even if we had a bigger funding source, paying our board members would
immediately solve all our issues. Many of our participants are not limited
through getting food for the family, but rather through opportunity costs of
using them either for IETF work or for creating some new products in their
companies.

Anyway, what are your experiences and suggestions in this topic, Doug? Do you
have suggested models to follow?

Jari