Re: IETF web site behind CloudFlare

2014-09-19 05:15:46
On Sep 18, 2014, at 10:07 PM, Doug Barton <dougb(_at_)dougbarton(_dot_)us>
wrote:
The actual risk I'm attempting to raise awareness about is the fact that
there are people out there who DO want to control the Internet; who think
that the very concept of something so important being run by volunteers,
"multi-stakeholder models," etc. is not only stupid, but dangerous; and will
use any example of failure by those who comprise that model (partly, us) as a
reason why they are right, and we are wrong.

Haters gonna hate.   I don't think we (the IETF) can prevent this, although we
can certainly make our positions clear and do our best to steer things in the
right direction, as with the NTIA transition effort.   But if the worst thing
that these folks can say about us is that our DNS setup on our CDN, like all
other CDNS, is a bit weird, or that it requires Javascript captcha for suspect
nodes, I don't think that's a problem: it's highly unlikely that their
public-facing web presence is better than ours, although it may be prettier (or
may not, depending on the SDO).