Re: IETF web site behind CloudFlare

2014-09-18 13:00:59
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:30:34 -0500
John Kristoff <jtk(_at_)cymru(_dot_)com> wrote:

It is not just CloudFlare where the IETF resources have begun to be a
lot more particular about what your packets should look like. If you
try to browse to tools.ietf.org without presenting an acceptable User
Agent string you get a 403 forbidden.  I submitted a ticket about this
behavior about a year ago.

Sometimes it pays to publicly complain.  After seeing my list post,
Henrik Levkowetz informed me that he received the ticket and conveyed
the explanation for why tools.ietf.org behaves that way.

His remarks never made it through the initial front line support and
into the ticketing system back to me. I still don't like having my
browser being blocked like a bot, but I apologize to Henrik for
incorrectly implying the he or the tools team were unresponsive.
Email has its limitations.

John