Re: IETF web site behind CloudFlare

2014-09-18 10:44:06
John, Mark, Ross,

As you know, the IETF web services are provided through a combination of
commercial services (secretariat services, service providers) and volunteer
efforts (e.g., tools). In other words, no matter what we do, we actually
delegate the task of providing the service to various other parties.

I think the right thing in this case is happening: we’ve learned of an issue
with Tor, and both our network managers at AMS and Cloudfare are looking into
it to determine what we can do. I think it is incredibly helpful to provide
feedback on situations that do not work. Particularly on areas where technology
is being pushed. Lets take this as an opportunity to do that.

I can not promise that we can deal with all situations immediately, however.
For instance, we know the provider is working hard on DNSSEC (as our request).
And the IETF is a regular target of DoS attacks, and whether our services are
run by ourselves or someone else, some tools are going to be needed to deal
with those.

Finally, the volunteer services. They run extremely well, but like commercial
services, they are not perfect. Generally speaking, our volunteer services tend
to migrate to officially maintained IETF services over time, and that is one
opportunity to address additional needs. But a lot is done by volunteers,
obviously! Hopefully you can participate the Code Sprint event, and possibly
help address any issues within the volunteer servers.

In any case, I have reported both the EDNS0 issue and the User Agent string
issue to the relevant folks.

Thanks,

Jari