Re: IETF web site behind CloudFlare

2014-09-18 21:08:11
On 9/18/14 6:34 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Sep 18, 2014, at 9:05 PM, Doug Barton <dougb(_at_)dougbarton(_dot_)us> wrote:
Your words are awesome, and well-stated. But tragically meaningless in the context of
things like WSIS, IGF, etc. The governments and other entities that would like to control
the Internet look for, and exploit, every weakness they can find to assert their claims,
whether that's "fair" or not.

We don't control the Internet.   Maybe NANOG et al. do, but we do not.

Reductio ad absurdum. There are no circumstances under which I want this bunch controlling the Internet. :)

The value proposition that keeps us relevant is continuing to do good work

Um, yeah, that's pretty much my point.

The actual risk I'm attempting to raise awareness about is the fact that there are people out there who DO want to control the Internet; who think that the very concept of something so important being run by volunteers, "multi-stakeholder models," etc. is not only stupid, but dangerous; and will use any example of failure by those who comprise that model (partly, us) as a reason why they are right, and we are wrong.

Doug