Ever-more-steep barriers (was: IETF registration fee increase from 2015)

2014-10-03 18:56:35
Hi Mark,
At 11:25 02-10-2014, Mark Nottingham wrote:
I have to say I?m concerned about the trend here; it?s already hard for people who are not ?standards professionals? to go to an IETF meeting.

I want developers and implementers to come to my meetings, not (just) people who are the ?regulars.? Given the short time blocks available in an IETF meeting, as well as uncertainly around scheduling until just before the meeting (travel scheduling-wise), it seems like we?re creating ever-more-steep barriers to having them come to meetings.

I understand that the IETF has to stay "financial". However, I?d ask that we consider a number of measures to help address this situation:

* Finalising the agenda (far) before it currently is, so that people can make firm (and economic) travel plans without blocking out an entire week

The agenda of a session is supposed to be finalized at least two weeks before. As you are a working group chair you already know how it goes. :-) Instead of arguing about why it is difficult to finalise an agenda I'll ask you how much notice would the developers and implementers require for travel scheduling.

* Allowing WGs to hold interim meetings without being required to meet at the adjacent IETF meetings

To anticipate the objections this will raise ? yes, I understand that things are structured to encourage cross-particiption and information sharing between groups. However, I believe that in doing so, all we?re really doing is discouraging participation by people who don?t have the time or interest in focusing their careers on standards full-time.

The argument for the week-long meeting is that it is to encourage cross-area participation. Has that happened in practice [1]?

There is a steep barrier to participation (re. don't have the time to focus full-time). It is worthwhile to consider whether breaking that barrier for developers and implementers is worth it.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. I mean whether there is cross-area participation from new people.