Re: Ever-more-steep barriers

2014-10-06 02:28:52

On Oct 6, 2014, at 3:55 AM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 04/10/2014 14:22, Mark Nottingham wrote:
I'll ask you how much notice would the developers and implementers require
for travel scheduling.

At least two months for the draft agenda; preferably three. Long-distance
airfares generally start rising in that period of time, and most people who
don’t do this for a living need to request and obtain permission to travel,
which can add weeks of delay.

Actually, even when I was mainly dedicated to standards work for a large
employer, I had to go through full approval processes for travel. It's
certainly
true for development engineers. However, the best we can really expect is a
clear statement immediately after IETF N whether or not a particular WG will
or
will not meet at IETF N+1 (and/or hold an interim at a specific place and
date).
That makes it possible to write reasonably honest travel requests.

I agree that’s a good idea.

For me at least (and I would imagine the same would be true for Mark), it would
be strange to come for one or two days, because travel takes at least another
day. Unless your day is Monday or Friday, your work week is shot anyway.

I’ve heard of people combining a partial IETF week with a customer visit near
the venue as a means of convincing the powers that be to approve the travel,
but it’s not applicable to everyone.

I’d like to point out also, that airfare can be more expensive when traveling
for a day or two. Generally it gets cheaper if the trip extends to almost a
week. This was more pronounced years ago, but it is still true.

Yoav