Re: Ever-more-steep barriers (was: IETF registration fee increase from 2015)

2014-10-06 19:58:16

Murray S. Kucherawy <superuser(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
    >> people can make firm (and economic) travel plans without blocking out
    >> an entire week
    >> >
    >> > The agenda of a session is supposed to be finalized at least two
    >> weeks before.  As you are a working group chair you already know how
    >> it goes.  :-) Instead of arguing about why it is difficult to finalise
    >> an agenda
    >>
    >> I don’t see anyone arguing about *why* it’s difficult to finalise the
    >> agenda — that seems to be well-understood.
    >>
    >> > I'll ask you how much notice would the developers and implementers
    >> require for travel scheduling.
    >>
    >> At least two months for the draft agenda; preferably
    >> three. Long-distance airfares generally start rising in that period of
    >> time, and most people who don’t do this for a living need to request
    >> and obtain permission to travel, which can add weeks of delay.

    > The obvious tension here is that the chairs might not know how much
    > face time the WG will need three months ahead of time.  Especially in
    > area WGs, big things can come up suddenly or be resolved just as
    > suddenly.  Putting the deadline out that far might have more of us
    > asking for 2.5 hour slots just-in-case, followed by a lot of last
    > minute reductions or cancellations, and the agenda remains fluid (or
    > there's lots of wasted room time).

I agree that it is a problem.
Here is *a* solution:
     1) everyone gets a 1hr slot upon presentation of 1hr of non-presentation
        agenda materials (BOFs not subject to this rule)

     2) there is now lots of empty slots that can be assigned 3-4 weeks
        before the meeting to WGs that need it.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [