Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

2014-10-04 01:48:53
Hi,

On 10/2/14, 8:25 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
* Allowing WGs to hold interim meetings without being required to meet at the
adjacent IETF meetings

To anticipate the objections this will raise — yes, I understand that things
are structured to encourage cross-particiption and information sharing
between groups. However, I believe that in doing so, all we’re really doing
is discouraging participation by people who don’t have the time or interest
in focusing their careers on standards full-time.

Your own group benefited from cross area review, both from transport and
security.  Now it is true that area directors and one WG chair flew to
your interim meetings.  But normal people didn't.  I think you are
asking for something else, however: more time at the main meeting.  And
that I could get on board with.  It would not be easy logistically, but
I think it is worth an experiment, at least.  What if you found yourself
with 2 days of meeting time?  And how much would that be worth to you
and your company?  And while I am not against interim in person
meetings, the pace you proceeded at did substantially increase the cost
of participation.  On the other hand, maybe it will be worth the
results.  We cannot yet say.

Eliot