Re: Last Call: <draft-secretaries-good-practices-06.txt> (IETF Working Groups' Secretaries) to Best Current Practice

2014-12-08 13:55:00
On 08/12/2014 22:53, Bob Hinden wrote:
On Dec 8, 2014, at 12:22 AM, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:

So it should be possible to reach agreement on text changes that
would take this tone out of your reading.
I actually do not think that it should be published at all, as
I don't think it solves any problem that the IETF is currently
experiencing and I tend to think that it might lead to further
ossification of the organization.  That is to say, I think
that the cost/benefit balance does not work out in favor of
publication.
i agree.  i will not add a bunch of sarcastic analogies about
more bureaucratic bumph we just don't need.

i also agree with your suspicion that this is an attept to patch
a chairing problem.  one suspects possible iesg unwillingness to
bite bullets.

I agree.  The list of tasks assigned in this draft to the secretary should be
done by the w.g. chairs.  If they can't do these tasks, then they shouldn't
be chairs.

More generally, it needs to be clear that chairs MAY delegate
their routine tasks as they see fit, including these tasks,
but that doing so does not absolve them from any of their
responsibilities. That is not explicit in RFC 2418, and probably
should be.

Me, I'd probably put the material in this draft into the WG Chairs'
wiki: it's valuable material, but not a BCP.

    Brian