Re: [92all] IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

2015-02-24 15:20:45

On Feb 24, 2015:4:09 PM, at 4:09 PM, Ted Lemon <Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Feb 24, 2015, at 3:55 PM, Dean Bogdanovic <deanb(_at_)juniper(_dot_)net> wrote:
I agree with Tom's statement that there is too much corporate marketing around this hackathon.

I see the Cisco logo once, Cisco mentioned one other time, and Cisco DevNet mentioned one other time, on the event details page.   This is similar to the presentation of the Google and Time Warner logos on the meeting page.   I don't work for Cisco, and indeed the company I work for used to count Cisco as one of our major competitors, yet I do not find the "corporate marketing" for this event objectionable.

I hate to extend this conversation, because I think it's incredibly weird how much opprobrium has been expressed, but can you explain precisely what it is that you object to about the supposed corporate marketing of which you speak?

If you take a look at the URL in question I think its self-explanatory why there is confusion about whether this is a vendor-sponsored event, a vendor event, or maybe something related to the IETF.  The fact that there are links here to register for DevNet, the Cisco logo, etc... is confusing at best as to what this is.

One approach would have been to just direct people to the official IETF Hackathon page here: