Re: [92all] IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

2015-02-24 15:57:08
On 2/24/15 12:29 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
This text, in an email from the IETF Secretariat, is immediately
followed to a cisco.com URL.   So a disinterested reader would
naturally assume that the event is an IETF event, and that Cisco is
somehow involved in organizing it, or maybe is sponsoring it (e.g.,
paying for the room or something).   I do not actually know the truth
of the matter, but the meeting info is very clear about what the
hackathon is about.   So while I guess I can understand that you
might be confused about who is sponsoring it, I am still at a loss as
to why that's a problem.

I don't love it - it increases the difficulty of arguing that yes,
the IETF really is a vendor-independent organization just a wee bit
more - but I wonder if Cisco would not choose to sponsor something
like that if they couldn't slap their branding on it.  Why was the
announcement on Cisco's site, anyway?  Is this a Cisco event or
an IETF event?

Melinda