Re: [92all] IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

2015-02-24 15:30:23
On Feb 24, 2015, at 4:20 PM, Thomas D. Nadeau
<tnadeau(_at_)lucidvision(_dot_)com> wrote:
      If you take a look at the URL in question I think its self-explanatory
why there is confusion about whether this is a vendor-sponsored event, a
vendor event, or maybe something related to the IETF.  The fact that there
are links here to register for DevNet, the Cisco logo, etc... is confusing at
best as to what this is.

Here's the announcement email:

The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is holding a Hackathon to
encourage developers to discuss, collaborate and develop utilities, ideas,
sample code and solutions that show practical implementations of IETF
standards. It takes place just before IETF 92, and it’s free and open to
everyone.

This text, in an email from the IETF Secretariat, is immediately followed to a
cisco.com URL.   So a disinterested reader would naturally assume that the
event is an IETF event, and that Cisco is somehow involved in organizing it, or
maybe is sponsoring it (e.g., paying for the room or something).   I do not
actually know the truth of the matter, but the meeting info is very clear about
what the hackathon is about.   So while I guess I can understand that you might
be confused about who is sponsoring it, I am still at a loss as to why that's a
problem.