Re: Thinking laterally

2015-02-27 10:50:48
On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Ted Lemon
<Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Feb 27, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Cyrus Daboo <cyrus(_at_)daboo(_dot_)name> wrote:
I wonder how many current attendees would suddenly find themselves having to
participate remotely after their CFO decided they don't really need to spend
all that money to send them some place to sit in a meeting not apparently
doing anything.

This would be a great outcome.

That would be a cultural disaster for the IETF.  If you don't have to
go anywhere to attend, will you even make time for more than the WG
meetings in which you have a direct interest?  Probably not.  And what
of all the hallway and bar BoFs?  Gone.

But remote participation fees have nothing to do with hastening such
an outcome.  Remote participation experience does.  But I suspect that
f2f participation is always just a matter of travel budget: either you
have it (you'll attend) or you don't (you won't attend).

Nico