Re: Unhelpful draft names

2015-03-09 17:45:07
Surprising. ..

On March 9, 2015 6:25:39 PM JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es> wrote:

To make it shorter, replying both, John, Jari and Paul …

I’ve been around since 2001, and since London/2001 never missed a single
meeting, and my memory may fail of course (usually don’t), but don’t
recall a single time where this convention was mention in a  meeting, mail
exploder, nothing. When I started contributing with my own documents,
somehow, for me was obvious that the draft-00 title should be as much
self-explained as posible, and event temped to make it longer if needed
using for example “palet-v6ops-distributed-security” instead of
“palet-v6ops-ds”, etc., but just because this is the way I usually name my
files and folders in my own computer.

So yes, I guess this convention has been forgotten or not widely enough
spread out.

http://www.ietf.org/id-info/guidelines.html

Individual: A string related to the name of one of the authors in some way. There are no mechanical rules for this string but objectionable or misleading strings are subject to change or removal at the discretion of the Secretariat.Document name. For non-working group document.

Lou

I don’t have a preference about an RFC versus the submission tool being
modified, but sadly, I don’t think this will be enough. Even if you find
the way to widely spread out the convention (which means posting in all
the WG exploders, general exploder, modifying newcomer slide sets, a few
IETF pages, etc.), possibly will not be enough, will take longer and will
not be so effective. Just an opinion, trying to be realistic.

An RFC enforces conventions, that’s it, and if that means when there is a
request to present in the WG for the first time a document, the chairs can
determine in a way as much objective as possible (an RFC) that it doesn’t
stick to the convention as indicated in the RFC, they can just come back
to the authors and suggest “you need to resubmit” with the correct naming
convention before presenting.

Regards,
Jordi