Re: Unhelpful draft names

2015-03-10 04:20:33
---- Original Message -----
From: "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es>
To: "IETF discussion list" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 10:24 PM

To make it shorter, replying both, John, Jari and Paul …

I’ve been around since 2001, and since London/2001 never missed a single
meeting, and my memory may fail of course (usually don’t), but don’t
recall a single time where this convention was mention in a  meeting,
mail
exploder, nothing.

<tp>

Jordi

Coincidentally, I posted to this list two days ago and mentioned just
this topic of naming convention for I-Ds.

My concern was about unhelpful draft names, but not quite in the sense
that Brian raised.  Rather, my concern was seeing a growing number of
drafts entitled
draft-johndoe-netmod-some-app-or-protocol
my concern being that these should never go to the netmod WG but to the
WG for the app or protocol instead.

I was assuming, wrongly as it turns out, that the convention was known
by (almost) everyone and so that those posting draft-johndoe-netmod-*
fully intended it to go to the netmod WG, which seems to me quite wrong.
The netmod WG has a well-defined remit and more than enough to do.
(Perhaps the submitters just do not know the convention but I am
sceptical of this).

I was thinking even, although not saying, that 'netmod' is currently a
special case and that the tools should prohibit the posting of a
draft-johndoe-netmod* without the consent of a netmod WG chair, forcing
submitters to think just where, in which WG, such an I-D could be
discussed.  But what to do when there is no suitable WG? perhaps such an
I-D does not belong in the IETF.

A different aspect of unhelpful draft names.

Tom Petch

</tp>
When I started contributing with my own documents,
somehow, for me was obvious that the draft-00 title should be as much
self-explained as posible, and event temped to make it longer if needed
using for example “palet-v6ops-distributed-security” instead of
“palet-v6ops-ds”, etc., but just because this is the way I usually name
my
files and folders in my own computer.

So yes, I guess this convention has been forgotten or not widely enough
spread out.

I don’t have a preference about an RFC versus the submission tool being
modified, but sadly, I don’t think this will be enough. Even if you find
the way to widely spread out the convention (which means posting in all
the WG exploders, general exploder, modifying newcomer slide sets, a few
IETF pages, etc.), possibly will not be enough, will take longer and
will
not be so effective. Just an opinion, trying to be realistic.

An RFC enforces conventions, that’s it, and if that means when there is
request to present in the WG for the first time a document, the chairs
can
determine in a way as much objective as possible (an RFC) that it doesn’
stick to the convention as indicated in the RFC, they can just come back
to the authors and suggest “you need to resubmit” with the correct
naming
convention before presenting.

Regards,
Jordi