Re: Nomcom feedback to appointees not up for renewal

2015-03-26 09:18:59

On 26/03/2015 10:41 pm, "Dave Crocker" <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

Howdy,

Michael noted that the two-year cycle for appointees means that those
/not/ up for renewal go at least 18 months without feedback.  He put
forward the need for feedback to them sooner than that, but asserted
that having Nomcom do it would not be appropriate.

As a natural consequence of its interviewing process, Nomcoms always get
quite a bit of information about /all/ appointees, not just the ones
currently up for renewal.  No one else acquires this kind of information
regularly and reliably.

Of the 4 nomcoms I've been on, at least two acted on this feedback,
having a directed conversation with at least one such appointee each time.

So I suggest that providing explicit feedback to all appointees not up
for renewal become a regular part of nomcom's deliverables.

As a newly appointed AD, and not up for renewal soon, I would most
definitely appreciate feedback on how things are going. Be that directly
or otherwise. And as a huge fan of well implemented 306' reviews, for me
'sooner rather than later' is appreciated.

More than happy to be a guinea pig, regardless if it becomes and nomcom
process or not.

Cheers
Terry