Re: Nomcom feedback to appointees not up for renewal

2015-03-26 12:12:44
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael StJohns" <mstjohns(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net>
To: <adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>; <dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net>;
"'IETF Discussion'"
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: "'Michael Richardson'" <mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 2:28 PM

While this is an interesting idea, I worry about yet more work for the
Nomcom and its affect on the nomcom timeline.  And then there's the
whole confidentiality model the Nomcom and CBs are currently tied to and
how that would need to be morphed to enable this.  And finally, there's
the problem that the Nomcom is 10+ people who might not have direct
knowledge of how the AD (or IAB or IAOC member) is doing - its difficult
to come up with a coordinated and useful and agreed upon set of feedback
with that many folk involved.  (This is substantially different than
taking a vote for whether or not to send someone forward for
confirmation).

Several other possible approaches:

1) This isn't a nomcom problem, but a organization problem.  Once a
year have the AD or IAB member sit down with the IETF chair or IAB chair
and get feedback on the chair's perception.

Michael,

Interesting to see this at the top of the list, a classic top-down
management approach.  Even in top-down managed organisations (which is
not how I view the IETF), I see bottom-up review, which in this case
would be the AD sitting down with the WG Chairs in their Area to say,
how am I doing?  I think that that would be a better fit for the IETF.

(Likewise, WG Chairs should be asking I-D editors for their feedback)

Tom Petch

2) Have the nomcom do a straw poll:  For AD or IAB member X, given
what you know currently would you continue them in office if they were
up for reappointment.  What's reported is for/against/abstentions.

3) Have the IETF as a whole do a straw poll (same question as above)
but allow individuals to provide anonymous feedback through a tool.

4) During the area meetings during the face to face meeting
specifically ask the questions:  How am I doing? How can I do things
better?  What's broken with the area?  What's working with the area?
Point to (3) as a way of providing more detailed feedback.

So - not a big fan of involving the Nomcom until other venues have
been tried and have failed.

Mike