Re: New Non-WG Mailing List: Ietf-and-github -- Discussion of using GitHub in IETF activities, particularly for Working Groups

2016-01-26 18:35:05

On 1/26/2016 3:55 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
My only real concern about using
other people's tools is that there's the possibility that
they can fold up shop, change the terms of use, etc. -
we have no control over that.

I think this point is worthy of the main IETF list, not just the github specialty forum.

What I meant to imply from my last posting is exactly that we aren't -- or at least shouldn't be -- strategically affected by having to switch to a different platform. Some days of hassles, but not years of it and certainly no permanent loss.

I'm inclined to suggest that the only criteria for choosing a collaboration platform are:

1. Is it globally popular; that is, does it already have a large and diverse user base?

2. Is there anything about it that serves to restrict use, in ways that would damage the IETF requirement for supporting open participation by anyone who is interested?

d/