Re: New Non-WG Mailing List: Ietf-and-github -- Discussion of using GitHub in IETF activities, particularly for Working Groups

2016-01-28 02:58:02
Ross Finlayson wrote:
Regardless of what protocols (‘git’ or otherwise) the IETF decides to use for
document management, we should be using our own servers for this - not those
belonging a third party.  We need to be confident that this is going to
survive the next recession :-) :-(

Actually, what we really need is a plan B in case plan A folds.

For the git repositories themselves, the DVCS principles allow work to
continue nearly unimpeded in an outage, and make a switchover nearly
trivial once necessary (e.g. by putting the repos up in an IETF gitlab
instance, which can even be done as a regular precaution).  For me that
is the reason this even can be considered.

The bigger problem is the value-add in the form of proprietary web-based
workflows that github adds to the mix, such as the issue lists with the
discussions, the information around pull requests, the CI integration
etc.  We need to have backup strategies for
-- the relevant data themselves (data export),
-- the skills that the IETF people have acquired employing those workflows.

Ultimately, the latter is probably the bigger problem.

Committing some work to github workflows (or any other external
DVCS-based workflow with proprietary extensions) is a decision not to be
taken lightly, but with the right backup strategies it does not have to
end in disaster.

Grüße, Carsten