Re: long-term archiving

2016-01-28 23:39:35
Registering US copyrights hasn't been necessary since 1978.

Berne Convention, rest of planet, etc.

 Lloyd Wood lloyd(_dot_)wood(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
http://about.me/lloydwood

----- Original Message -----
From: John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Sent: Friday, 29 January 2016, 13:18
Subject: Re: long-term archiving

The original authors had the right to prohibit distribution of that
material, and some (myself included) have asserted that right
vigorously. I.e., it's not merely a matter of what was "lost" but also
"who has the right".

Given the history of the broad no-charge distribution of I-D's, should
anyone be so benighted as to try to take this to court, the issues
under 17 USC 107 and 17 USC 108 would be quite interesting.  (Yes, I
know those are US laws, but the IETF and ISI are both in the US.)

Have you registered the copyrights in these valuable documents?

R's,
John