Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-23 17:38:42
Hi Leslie,
At 11:14 17-05-2016, IAOC Chair wrote:
Having reviewed the Singapore proposal in the light of the plenary input, we have a proposal for moving forward and would like community input ? see below.

Review

The IAOC meetings committee reviewed the options for IETF 100, including investigating costs and possibilities of moving the meeting to a different location. In keeping with the updated process outlined below, they checked with official advisory sources and consulted with specialty travel services, frequent travelers, and local representatives about the concerns that have been raised. The input received from those sources is consistent with the text on http://travel.state.gov [1].

>From that research, at a strictly practical level, the IAOC believes that it is possible to have a successful meeting in Singapore. The IAOC proposes that holding the meeting in Singapore is the best option for IETF 100 at this time.

The only information which can be verified in the above is the information published on travel.state.gov.

From http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg97545.html

  "Dealing with IETF 100 is the first order of business. The IAOC is gathering
   information about the situation ­ including the full cost of canceling
   existing contracts, so that the IETF community can have a fuller picture
   from which to provide guidance for our next steps."

The IAOC did not provide any other facts to ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org subscribers. It is not possible to get a fuller picture.

In 2010, there was "a proposed experiment for a Meeting Companion Program at the upcoming Prague IETF". The reason [1] given was that: "many IETF members are accompanied to IETF meetings. The lives of the IETF companions would be enhanced if they had a way to meet and communicate with each other. The lives of IETF members might also be enhanced. The Meetings committee is favorably inclined to support this experiment". The issue raised by Ted Hardie [2] is related to the Meeting Companion Program.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://iaoc.ietf.org/minutes/2010-11-24-iaoc-minutes.txt
2. https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98101.html