Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-24 14:49:25
On 5/24/16 11:41 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
If we are going to bring breastfeeding into this, which seems
reasonable, it's worth asking if someone can actually construct a
situation in which the breastfeeding mother would be present with the
baby, but the local government would not recognize _her_ parental
rights.

We looped down a side-road.  Apparently there's some feeling
that the way to solve the problem with familial rights in same-
sex families not being recognized in Singapore is to simply
eliminate the companion program (a very Kim Davis solution).
I said I don't like the companion program because I think it
tends to over-emphasize the role of meetings in our processes.
Alia answered with a concrete example of why the companion program
is useful and should be continued.  I don't think anybody
was arguing that there's a legal issue related to parental
rights around breastfeeding (although I understand that
there's a ton of legal issues, and local variability in
those legal issues, around public breastfeeding).

Melinda