Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-24 13:42:59
On 5/24/16 10:14 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:
Then I guess where I disagree with both you and Melinda is that I don’t
think the ability to bring families along should be an important
consideration.

I don't, either, but as long as the IETF does, and provides
a companion program, I feel quite strongly that IETF travel
should be equally accessible to all families.  I'd personally
be good with dropping the companion stuff UNLESS it was done
specifically to avoid problems with travel to places hostile
to same-sex partners.  That would be the point at which the
IETF would cross the line to becoming actively discriminatory.

In general I think that the companion program tends to inflate
the significance of meeting attendance, or at least the appearance
of significance, and I'd really like to see us get better about
de-emphasizing physical meetings.

Melinda