Re: [Mtgvenue] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-26 11:37:45
Wearing my
super-hypothetical-since-I-am-privileged-and-this-doesn't-actually-affect-me
hat, if I were the adopted parent of a child in a same-sex couple, or were
traveling with my spouse in a same-sex couple, and I thought there was any
real risk of having to go to a hospital with either an incapacitated spouse
or a child, I would be much more worried about coming to the U.S. than to
Singapore.

Why?   There have been actual, recent, documented cases of hospital
personnel violating the law to deprive people of their rights, and we have
no assurance that this couldn't still happen.   There are documented cases
of this happening in Miami and Nevada as recently as 2013.   Given the
current political backlash over same sex marriage, I suspect the risk is
higher now than it was in 2013.

I haven't been able to locate any documented cases of this happening in
Singapore.   What I've read thus far about Singapore suggests that things
are getting better there, not worse.   This doesn't mean there is no risk
of falling afoul of a fanatic, of course.   But clearly the odds of that
are higher in the U.S, despite some very sincere and concerted effort on
the part of the U.S. government right up to the office of the president to
prevent recurrences.