Re: Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-26 12:48:30
On 5/26/2016 10:35 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 5/26/16 9:25 AM, Lawrence Conroy wrote:
As Ohta-san pointed out, there is no international consensus on single
sex marriage as a human right.

This is not about recognition of same-sex marriage, and I
expect that one of the reasons we're having difficulty making
progress is that there's confusion on that point.

This highlights a basic challenge for the general topic under consideration. Some others have been pointing to the challenge, but I do not believe it yet has been clearly marked for action here:

The nature of the current topic is to exclude from consideration as a venue those places with laws and/or policies and/or practices that are deemed by the IETF community to be unacceptable.

We need a clear and complete statement of the social and legal realities that are to be used to disqualify a venue. We need that statement to have IETF rough consensus.

Absent that agreed list, we are conducting random walk through an ambiguous decision-tree. Certainly its absence leaves the IAOC with inadequate guidance for avoiding future errors as is being assessed about Singapore.

This does not make light of the social/legal issues getting focus here. Rather it is an attempt to move the consideration to something that can be used as a clear decision-making policy.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking