RE: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-26 11:57:19
No much difference in China either, and we had IETF in Beijing even though
China has the famous Great Fire Wall of Internet.

Jeffrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Recentattendees [mailto:recentattendees-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf
Of Barry Raveendran Greene
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 12:15 PM
To: Ietf@Ietf. Org <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: recentattendees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; IETF Announcement List <ietf-
announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF
100

If this is being used as the justification, then South Korea must also be
changed. Same problem.

On May 25, 2016, at 3:08 PM, IAOC Chair <iaoc-chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
wrote:

Reasons for Cancellation of IETF 100 Meeting in Singapore, and the IAOC
understands that to be:

“    Singapore laws against same-sex relationships between men and
   preventing the recognition of same-sex marriages could create
   difficulties for same-sex partners and their children; these have
   discouraged affected members of our community from participating
   at the IETF meeting in November of 2017 and have also influenced
   others to decline to attend in principled solidarity with them.

   Accordingly, the IETF has decided to postpone indefinitely the
meeting
   in Singapore and is pursuing alternative venues.”