Re: [IAOC] question to the IAOC: new committee members

2016-11-16 22:01:04
Jordi,

On Nov 17, 2016, at 12:02 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
<jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es> wrote:

So, do you think “personnel decisions” is a transparent process? My
understanding is that it means if you have some friends, or political reasons
to select among the volunteers one or the other … you don’t need to explain
it.

I really think this is plain wrong.

I disagree.  If IETF personal decisions (IAOC committees, IAB appointments,
IESG appointments, nomcom selections, hiring staff) are required to be are
fully transparent, then very few people will volunteer.  No one wants to see in
public that they were not selected because they were unfit, not as good as
someone else, or whatever.

Not everything in the IETF can be fully transparent.  I think what the IAOC did
in this case, and what it usually done for the NomCom and related selections
are fine in my view.

Bob