Re: I-D Action: draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-19.txt

2017-01-10 19:58:10

Hiya,

On 11/01/17 01:43, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
Sorry about the top post, but there's an important correction to be
made here.

_We_ do not own the IANA trademark.  The IETF Trust does.  Moreover,
the Trust has certain agreements with other organizations and those
constrain what the Trust may do. Finally, the Trust can't actually do
exactly what it wants with the trademark, because there are rules
about how trademarks must be handled in order to remain valid.

The Trust agreed to take on the IANA ipr as part of the transition,
as a service to the Internet operational communities affected.  That
doesn't mean we get just to do whatever we would like.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I thought a part of the reason
that we (IETF/IETF trust) took on the so-called "ipr" was because
we were best placed in terms of having the most healthily sceptical
attitude to the (lack of) value supposedly-inherent in that "ipr"?

I don't think we ought disturb that impression by being overly
serious about any of this, even if (or particularly if:-) others
appear to be that serious.

IANA folks do a fine job with protocol registries but I figure
it'd be a fail for us to accidentally treat the concepts involved
as being so precious that Lars' github repo starts to appear
significantly more attractive.

Bringing it back to the draft in question, my substantive comment
is that I don't care about the IETF trust issues and conclude that
reasonable grammar ought win in this case.

Cheers,
S.

Best regards,