Re: I-D Action: draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-19.txt

2017-01-10 20:13:04
On 11/01/2017 11:57, Bob Hinden wrote:
While I am certainly not a trademark lawyer, I would think that if the last
sentence in the first paragraph of Introduction in the draft is changed to:

    For IETF protocols, that role is filled by the Internet Assigned Numbers
    Authority (IANA) Services [RFC2860] described in this document as IANA.

I would think this is not a trademark violation, since it is clear what IANA
is referring to.

Regardless, we must not issue a document with such absurd, ugly and
ungrammatical
phrasing. It would make us a laughing stock.

_We_ do not own the IANA trademark.  The IETF Trust does.

Don't care. Ultimately the Trust does what the IETF tells it to do. I understand
that lawyers sometimes give very cautious advice, but it's our choice whether
we take that advice after due consideration. Making this document read absurdly
is simply not OK. Putting in some introductory legalese is OK.

    Brian