Re: If Muslims are blocked by the U.S., should the IETF respond?

2017-01-30 12:39:02
No !

The IETF and its members must stay focussed on what the IETF is for and what
it's goals are.

warm regards
Saifi.

 -------Original Message-------
 From: Dave Burstein <daveb(_at_)dslprime(_dot_)com>
 To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
 Subject: If Muslims are blocked by the U.S., should the IETF respond?
 Sent: Jan 28 '17 01:00

 Folks

 The IETF has generally steered clear of political entanglements, which
 I think wise. Nonetheless, I raise the question of whether we should
 respond to the proposed U.S. ban on nationals of Iran, Iraq, Libya,
 Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen.

 Scott Aaronson reports one of his MIT students will probably have to
 leave if he can't get his visa removed. We all know how many Iranians
 are world-class technologists, including in computer science and
 electrical engineering.

 I hope many from outside the United States speak up. The issues around
 Trump make it hard to be objective here.

 Should we take a stand?

 If so, should it be symbolic or substantive?

 Symbolic actions could include:

 * A resolution

 * Establishing remote hubs for our meetings in Iran and one of the
 Arabic speaking countries. ISOC has funded remote hubs.
 * Outreach in Farsi and Arabic to show that whatever actions the
 government takes, the IETF welcomes participation. This could be as
 simple as Jari Arkko writing a letter to the editor of the leading
 newspapers with an invitation for all to join our work.

 Some might also think that we should move the July 2018 meeting from
 San Francisco to a location accessible to more of our members, perhaps
 to Mexico or Canada.

 As we discuss this, I urge everyone to avoid distracting comments
 about U.S. politics. We're not going to change many minds here pro or
 con the new U.S. President.

 Instead, let's keep the discussion here to how we should respond to a
 major nation refusing visas to so many of our members.

 Dave Burstein

 --

 Editor, Fast Net News, 5GW News, Net Policy News and DSL Prime
 Author with Jennie Bourne  DSL (Wiley) and Web Video: Making It Great,