Re: IAOC requesting input on (potential) meeting cities

2017-04-04 19:54:32
That's not comparable.  We know what the policy is concerning
Americans working in Canada, and that how you describe "meeting"
can affect whether or not it's considered to be work. ...

But it's not consistent.  In nearly every case when I show up at the
Canadian border, show my NEXUS card and tell them I'm going to a
meeting, they wave me through.  One time when I got bored of the usual
route, I entered Canada via ferry on a rural island in the St
Lawrence, and it rapidly became obvious that I was the high point of
their week, as they wasted the better part of an hour searching my
car, getting all suspicious about the papers I had for a presentation
at the meeting, and even calling headquarters to see if I needed a
visa.

I agree that Canada is a fairly easy country to get in and out of
(unless you have a DUI arrest) but it varies a lot so anecdotes about
entering Canada or any other country don't tell you much.

R's,
John