Re: IAOC requesting input on (potential) meeting cities

2017-04-05 08:23:30

Andrew G. Malis <agmalis(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > At least once, I was questioned extensively when going from the US to
    > a meeting in Canada. I had to show evidence of the meeting and my
    > itinerary and convince them that I wasn’t entering Canada to take work
    > away from a Canadian. That said, I still support holding meetings in
    > Canada.

IETF98 was among the only times I was *NOT* asked questions like that when
entering the US.   I did enter at Midway.   That none of are asked such
questions when entering europe always surprises me.

I'm not sure what "extensively" means; if that means you were taken aside, or
not.  I've been through that at the US border.

"Chair of work group" would always be a bad thing to say, since it has the
word "work" in it.  Never talk about customers.  The IETF is a meeting of
peers.

(Once because it was 5am, and I was just really loud since I was really still
asleep).

But, in all cases I felt confident that I would be treated with respect,
(even by the border guard who didn't seem to believe that e-tickets were
real).

I did *not* feel that way while preparing to travel to IETF98.
My fears were not realized; but as Eliot has said, it's *exactly* the
uncertainty that is a problem.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-