Re: IAOC requesting input on (potential) meeting cities

2017-04-04 17:56:26
On 4/4/17 1:56 PM, Eliot Lear wrote:
Jared, man, read the newspapers.

Well, there's certainly that (the Canadian paper, the Globe and
Mail, has done a lot of excellent work on tracking down incidents
where Canadians have had problems entering the US, as one example).

I think the broader problem is that there's just a lot of uncertainty
and inconsistency, and even if it were possible to collect an
authoritative list of incidents it wouldn't capture the problem that
many people crossing the border in and out of the US these days don't
really know what to expect.  It's one thing when you're not sure
whether or not your bag of dog food will be permitted in and an
entirely different one when you're not sure whether or not you'll
be turned back.

I don't know how to capture that uncertainty in a way that will
satisfy the skeptics but it does seem to me to be a very serious
problem with respect to planning.

Melinda