Re: Registration for remote participation

2017-05-15 08:19:35
IETF Chair <chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

The IESG is soliciting community feedback on a proposal to require
registration for remote participants at IETF meetings...

Registration would be mandatory to access MeetEcho sessions in real
time and to join the remote mic queue during a session...

Upon registering, participants would be issued a registration ID, just
as they are today.

To join a session, participants would be asked to input the
registration ID.

   These "registration IDs" are hard to remember. That's why I joined so
many sessions "without rugistration ID".

The same email-based facility that is currently available to retrieve
a forgotten registration ID would continue to be available.

   This is not practical unless you allow joining enough before the start
of session to complete the process.

The cookie-based ???Remember me??? option would also still be available.

   Would you believe some of us avoid cookies?

Other options for authentication (leveraging a user-chosen password or
datatracker credentials) might be explored further in the future.

   I strongly advise considering them before disallowing registration
without registration ID.

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>