Re: Registration for remote participation

2017-05-12 01:57:10

On 5/10/17 8:04 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
IETF Chair <chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:
    > Title
    > First / Given Name*
    > Last / Family Name*
    > Company / Organization
    > ISO 3166 Country of Residence*
    > Email*
    > Gender
    > Have you attended an IETF meeting in person before?
    > Have you attended an IETF meeting remotely before?

    > Upon registering, participants would be issued a registration ID, just
    > as they are today.

Are we validating the email address in some way?
If we are not, I don't see the point of the *-required in any of those places.

Regardless of motivation here, if the tools team were to use our
ietf.org logins for registration one of the benefits of that would be
that many fields could be filled in for us, albeit editable (some of us
need that for tee shirt size, regrettably),  both for in person and
remote participation.

There is a downside: the secretariat would have to secure that
information.  Personally I think we should offer that as an option as an
exercise to demonstrate how privacy can be done properly, so that we are
eating our own dog food.  The minimum, though, would be a validated IETF
account.  I don't think that's a high bar.

Eliot