Re: Registration for remote participation

2017-05-15 09:24:40

In message <20170515131240.GR56980@verdi>, John Leslie writes:
IETF Chair <chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

The IESG is soliciting community feedback on a proposal to require
registration for remote participants at IETF meetings...

Registration would be mandatory to access MeetEcho sessions in real
time and to join the remote mic queue during a session...

Upon registering, participants would be issued a registration ID, just
as they are today.

To join a session, participants would be asked to input the
registration ID.

   These "registration IDs" are hard to remember. That's why I joined so
many sessions "without rugistration ID".

When you need to registration ID to participate you will record it,
look it in the registration email or recover it.

        IETF 97 confirmation for Mr. Mark P Andrews

        Registration Type: Remote Participant

        Your registration number is 97XXXXXXXX

The same email-based facility that is currently available to retrieve
a forgotten registration ID would continue to be available.

   This is not practical unless you allow joining enough before the start
of session to complete the process.

The session are open well before the workig group actually starts.

The cookie-based ???Remember me??? option would also still be available.

   Would you believe some of us avoid cookies?

Other options for authentication (leveraging a user-chosen password or
datatracker credentials) might be explored further in the future.

   I strongly advise considering them before disallowing registration
without registration ID.

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org