Re: Revamp of the www.ietf.org website

2017-07-18 17:25:56
On 19/07/2017 09:41, Eric C Rosen wrote:
On 7/15/2017 5:21 AM, Russ Housley wrote:
the general organization and the look-and-feel of the website has been
implemented based on the initial research and input received to date.

I've been waiting to hear somone say "I love the new web page.  It makes
it much easier to quickly find the information I need".

I'm still waiting.

What I'm actually hearing is "The new web page makes it more difficult
to find the information I need.  I can't tell where the information is
hidden, and I'm always scrolling through screens and screens of
content-free graphics to find it.  And then it takes longer to access it".

But there's a good response to this: "The new web page isn't supposed to
make it easier to find the information you need, use the datatracker for
that.  The new web page is supposed to look pretty to folks who don't
actually use it regularly."

Of course, this is almost always what happens when a useful web page is
redesigned so as to be more modern.

True. It happened once before, less badly, when the original home page
(approximately https://www.ietf.org/content.html) was replaced by
the current one, which I don't find useful. If https://beta.ietf.org/links/
can't be made to fit in a single screen, I'll be making my own private
equivalent of https://www.ietf.org/content.html anyway. We shouldn't
be afraid of having our web site look geeky.

Alternatively, it would be fine if the sidebar on the tracker
included everything currently covered by the sidebar on www.ietf.org.

Now if we could just replace all our RFCs with youtube videos ...

Why, when everything worth saying can be said in a tweet?

       Brian