Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Discussion of auth-header draft (fwd)

2008-10-10 02:15:21
Tony Hansen wrote:

Yes, I also shuddered slightly when I suggested it. But it seemed to fit
the most with what was going on. IMAP/POP servers are what the MUA is
talking with; they *are* the representative for the MDA; and the MUA is
*already* talking with the IMAP/POP servers, so could easily ask for a
bit more information.

We can write it up and see if it flies. Here's how it could look:

    IMAP
      x CAPABILITY
      x CAPABILITY Authentication-Results=isp.example.net
      x OK CAPABILITY completed

    POP3
      CAPA
      Authentication-Results=isp.example.net

In both cases, the isp.example.net is the authserv-id put in by *this*
MDA system.

I think I'm a little confused now.  Is the point of such an extension
merely to allow an MUA to get the authserv-id in use locally (or perhaps
a pattern to match), or to actually retrieve message-specific
authentication results along with the messages?  I believe Tony's
suggesting the former, but I was heading down the latter path.

If the former, isn't this a bit of a hack?  You're not actually
advertising a new capability of the IMAP or POP3 server, but merely
allowing the MUA to get a piece of its configuration from a trusted source.